Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My moment of fame

I had a very quick, silly moment of feeling like star. I tasted the sun and I hated it.

For those of you that don’t know me. I own a comic book store in a mall, I write books (hence the name Keira Kroft) and I own a publishing company.

I was off from working the comic book store on Sunday. I had to get something from the store and while I was there at the mall, I thought I would grab something for lunch. Hubby was home finding something to watch and he found a Bill Engvall stand-up special that we hadn’t seen yet, which was lucky, because we love him and I thought we’d seen them all. My daughter came and helped me and we did that shit up right. We did! We ordered vanilla shakes from Burger King and then she ordered chicken from KFC and I went to Smokehouse to get chili cheese fries for my husband and daughter, and I got a pizza puff, because I like them...a lot :) The day was shaping up to be perfect.

I had my fries and puff in tow and went back to meet my daughter at KFC. A girl I know from the comic book store came up to me and started talking to me, standing right in between my daughter and I. She acted really excited to see me outside of the comic book store. I was happy with, ‘hi and bye’, but she wanted to like catch up and hang out. I politely declined by saying that I had to go and then walked straight into another girl from the comic book store. I tried my, ‘hi and bye’ with her and she actually called me back. She said wait, how are you? I just looked over my shoulder and said, “fine” and darted away.


Both of these women read my books and that’s  part of the reason they like me, but it’s mostly because I am a business owner that they look up to me. But whatever the reason, these ladies came up to me and tried to dominate my time, I couldn’t allow it. It was my daughter’s time. So I had to be kind of rude by cutting them short and I felt horrible and mean. I imagined for a second, how horrible it would be to be a movie star. I just wanted to to be left alone and spend a few moments with my daughter. Should I be robbed of that, because I own a couple of businesses? I don’t think so.

Don’t get me wrong, when I sell a million eBooks and I am out there signing books and meeting fans, I will love it. But when it’s my time with my family, I will always want to be left to it.

I remember one time I judged Eminem very harshly, because he said something in one of his songs about somebody coming up to him, while he was eating with his daughter. It must be “rough to have all that fame,” I said. But let me tell you, it’s must be a difficult spot. You have to work all those hours, just to be robbed of your private moments that are far and few between to begin with.

What do you think, of me snubbing those ladies? And stars running from fans and paparazzi?



Come back tomorrow (12 am Central) For Keira’s Interview with the awesome Author Gary Starta

Quote from Gary, stolen from tomorrow's Interview...

I usually anchor my novels in science fiction but find it fascinating and almost impossible not to blend these other genres into the mix. You could compare it to a meal. While there's nothing wrong with eating a piece of fish by itself day after day you might find it more tasty to add broccoli (horror), rice (mystery), salad (romance), bread(fantasy) and dessert (suspense).

You can find more about Keira's alter ego Dawn Binkley right nowironically on Gary's blog.
http://praisegods.blogspot.com/2012/07/authors-guide-to-self-publishing-guest.html


Hugs, Keira Kroft,
www.keirakroft.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment