Thursday, November 15, 2012

Interview between Keira Kroft and Darcy Town

Welcome to Keira’s Corner, where there is always chocolate, and lots and lots of coffee.
 
First a little bit about Darcy Town


I earned a degree in Comparative Religion, so themes-wise that certainly pops up here and there in my writing (okay, more than a little here and there in some books).

I write what I enjoy reading/watching - which is fantasy/sci-fi with dark humor and a bit of romance. What I consider romance however is to some...a bit off (and kinked out). And when I say dark humor I mean black. But I always have lighthearted moments (I do not believe a story should be all one way or another). Gotta spice things up!

Speaking of...I like to write stories that cater to all sexual preferences in one story (as opposed to just writing gay/lesbian lit, etc). I have your typical male-female romances. I have male-male, female-female, transgender, bi-sexual, sub-dom, etc. This is mostly due to the fact that well...1. I like writing about it. 2. I see it in my everyday life. 3. I like having a well-rounded cast of characters from all walks of life.

I am the author of the Morningstar Trilogy and the Wastes Series.


Welcome Darcy I have a few questions for you.
Keira: You have a story, Wastes of Space, that is available now. What is that about?
Short answer:  Wastes of Space is a story about a washed out American astronaut, Rake, who gets a second chance at space and life when he is thrown together with an alien, Ravil, who is on the run from a space-faring empire.

Keira: Where in the Hell did you find time to write?

I work from home, so at the moment it is easy to find time before work, at lunch, and after work.  I write sporadically.  I used to have hours of time that I would dedicate to writing each day, but since I’ve injured my wrists, it’s better for me to write in short 15-30 minute blocks throughout the day.  Finding time like that is pretty easy.

Keira: Why are you a writer?

I love the creation process, and I enjoy telling stories.  Writing gives me a sense of accomplishment that I do not get anywhere else.  I also fall in love with my characters, so writing about them is fun and an emotional rollercoaster.

Keira: How many hours a day do you dedicate to writing?

Currently anywhere from half an hour to three or four hours.  Lately, it’s been closer to the half hour mark, but that’s life getting in my way, not a lack of desire to write.

Keira: Do you use a particular writing method?

I don’t do anything special to start off.  I sit down at my computer and try to dive right in, and then I keep writing until a scene is complete (I dislike writing half a scene and then stopping for a break).  I always have a general idea of where a scene is going to go and what it should accomplish, but I never really know until I start writing it.  I keep my ideas loose, and if the story takes a strange turn, I always let it go that way.  But, I do have an overall road map for a book, and for the series as a whole. 

Keira: What time of day, do you write best?

Early morning or the evening.  I tend to get sleepy midday and all I want to do then is take a nap.  I am a morning person, so I can get up and write with no problems (as long as I have some coffee), but in the evening I really feel amped to write.  If I start in the evening around dinnertime, I can write late into the night.

Keira: What advice would you give to an unpublished writer?

Don’t think about publishing, hard I know, focus on the story and complete that.  I think many writers focus on the publishing aspect, when they need to focus on the story and making that the best that it can be.  The story is the most important, not who distributes your books.  Once it’s totally complete, proofed, edited, proofed ten more times…then start thinking about what route you want to go for publishing. 

Let’s get personal…
Keira: What is your favorite food?
Noodles of any kind.  I am a pasta junkie.

Keira: What is your favorite color?
Green.  I love the color green. Me too :)

Keira: Do you have pets?
I have a lovely fluffy black cat named Hesper.  She is my writing companion, and she typically sits in my lap when I am at the computer.

Keira: What do you consider a household staple?
Coffee…coffee is a necessity.  I get cranky if I go somewhere and realize I cannot get a cup of coffee anytime I want.

Keira: What are you reading?
The Golden Globe by John Varley. 

Keira: Can you share a synopisis with us? Of course.


Title: Wastes of Space
Author: Darcy Town
Published: Self-Published - December 14th, 2011
Genre: Science Fiction



Word Count: 142,000
Content Warning: Mature - language, sex, graphic violence, drug use/abuse, prostitution

Synopsis:
In the early 21st century, the Cold War between the American and Chinese Empires slogs on in a stalemate. There's a ceasefire in effect, but the peace is artificial—secretly enforced by an alien blockade that surrounds the planet. Earth is caught in a territory struggle between two warring factions: the Empire and the Resistance. Lacking harvestable talents, both groups classify Earthlings as Wasters.

Hidden among the Wasters is an alien girl with the power of moving spaceships. She teams up with Rake, a drug-addicted ex-Astronaut, to join an intergalactic war that Earth did not know existed…but first Rake has to realize he's travelling with an alien to begin with.

You can find Darcy Town at:



You can find Wastes of Space at:
Barnes and Noble

For a chance at a free eCopy of Wastes of Space, check out
 




 


Haven't got enough of Darcy and Wastes of Space? Here's more....


Synopsis for Wastes Away – Book Two:

…A split second later in the same galaxy as before, but pretty far away…

Rake and Ravil have escaped Earth and the Empire, towing the rest of their friends and new allies with them. They flee to an abandoned Empire colony known only as Seed Planet 15.

Out of fuel and common sense, they crash and nearly wreck their ship, stranding them in the middle of a seemingly endless swamp. On first glance the place looks mostly harmless, but what they've landed on is anything but. Seed Planet 15 has a nasty history.

The planet has more hidden in the mist than just ghosts and rumors. And if the crew doesn’t get off the planet soon, there will be nothing left of them but spare parts and a rusted ship.



Synopsis for Waste Not, Want Not – Book Three:

Barely making it off Seed Planet Fifteen with their lives, Rake and the crew are content to hang out and lick their wounds for a while, if it weren't for the fried wiring and Stalker damage that have left the ship prone to reoccurring blackouts.

Needing supplies for repairs, the crew decides the best course of action is to raid abandoned Ampyr outposts for gear. Smart, no foreseeable problems there. Except one of the outposts they hit isn't empty, Lincoln's personality issues are getting worse, food is going missing, and their Rexos is about to hit puberty and apparently that's accompanied by uncontrollable rages. As if that wasn't enough bad news, there seems to be a sentient black hole chasing down Ravil and attempting to eat her.

But not to worry, Danny's reforming their squad and apparently ranking still flies out in space. No more messing around, things are getting serious. At least seriously screwed up.


Stop by the rest of the tour :)


  • November 15th – Keira @ Keira’s Corner (Interview)
  • November 16th – Pavarti @ Fighting Monkey Press (Guest Post)
  • November 19th – Carin @ My Reading Obsession (Book Review)
  • November 20th – Daniel @ Parenting from a Child’s Point of View (Interview)
  • November 21st – Dawn @ The Hellfire Herald (Interview)
  • November 22nd – Stephen @ Stephen C. Ormsby (Book Review/Guest Post)
  • November 23rd – Savannah @ Hugs & Nightmares (Guest Post)
  • November 26th – Tiffany & Ryan @ Book-Marks the Spot (Book Review)
  • November 27th – Kristy @ Kristy Centeno (Spotlight)
  • November 28th – Laurie @ Laurie’s Non-Paranormal Thoughts and Reviews (Interview)
  • November 29th – Jaidis @ Juniper Grove (Interview)
  • November 30th – Ladies @ My Home Away From Home (Book Review/Interview)


  • No comments:

    Post a Comment