Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Terrifying Tuesday: Interview with Horror Writer J. Gunn

Welcome to Keira’s Corner, where there is always chocolate, and lots and lots of coffee.

Keira: You have a story out, a self-published project entitled Devil's in the Details. What is that about?

Jen: This is a compilation of two years of short horror tales derived to give the horror lovers out there something to enjoy this fall into winter. If you like blood and gore you're going to love it. 

Keira: What do you wear, to write?

Jen: I would say nothing but you all know that's not true, usually my jammies.

Keira: Is writing your only talent?

Jen: No just my favorite one, I also have learned a lot of formats for books, I love to draw, I used to sing in the choir, anything artist usually strikes a chord with me and I try to learn it. I'm a fast learner.

Keira: Why are you a writer?

Jen: Because when I think about not writing, I can't breathe. After almost 20 years it's like water in a river, without it I think I would just about dry up and fade away.

Keira: What time of day, do you write best?

Jen: The nighttime is my favorite time to write, it's quiet. The vampire tunes inspire and it flows better when the sun isn't shining in my eyes.

Keira: Do you use one or more pen names?

Jen: Yes, currently I guess I have two, picked up another a few months back for another project I'm working on with a friend. They are J. Gunn and Aziraphale the Angel of Death.

Keira: Are you currently running any contests? What are they?

Jen: No, I'm currently not but give it time I may think up a few.

Keira: What advice would you give to an unpublished writer?

Jen: Keep going, do not give up or give in no matter how depressing it feels at times. You WILL eventually find a method that works for you if you want it bad enough. Never stop learning and growing.

 
Let’s get personal…


Keira: What is your guilty Pleasure?

Jen: Right now, it would be Kindle books. Usually it's other things like chocolate I can't have because it hurts my teeth.

Keira: What is your favorite Smell?

Jen: Vanilla scented anything.

Keira: Can you tell us a secret?

Jen: Well, yeah I guess I can tell you, I'm planning a few more projects. I'm working on a Children's book for my daughter to be out around Christmas and a novel about a family who lives with and deals with daily a lot of ghost issues, it's not due out really soon just might be done with the first draft pretty soon, I'm at about 33k with it right now. (Huge secret about the ghost story, I didn't start writing it until September 17th!)

Keira: What are you reading?

Jen: At the moment, not a thing lol! I've read a lot of books by my fellow authors, which I try to review because I love my friends, but lately I've been working so much I'm behind severely so I hope they don't smack me with a book from across the country lol!

Keira: Can you share your blurb with us?

What’s more tantalizing or titillating on Halloween then bloody corpses, living nightmares, or hatchets used to cut you to pieces? Inside this anthology you will find more than one's fair share of gore, and atrophy. Don’t blame me for what enters your dreams.
 

Devil's in the Details excerpt:

Excerpt from Your Blood, Devil's in the Details, Horror Anthology by J. Gunn

The day has come to kill you. Everything about you must die because your very presence on earth is wrong. You have been here without a soul for far too long. This world deserves a chance to live on without you, you evil son of a bitch. I will hunt you and when I find you and yours, you all will die.


I finally found you one day at a place secluded from a lot of other people in the dark; I had searched for what felt like ages. But really it had only been days. I walked out there without shoes and my feet were muddy and bleeding. My white dress draped my small form, clinging to me with sweat from walking all the way into the remote locale that your warehouse fortress had to be.

I walked all the way out there with my hatchet in my hand and murder on my mind. It glistened shining in the moonlight. And I saw a light on in the top floor window of your evil factory.


Grass that crackled on the bottom of my feet crunched as I slowly make my way up to the entrance of your ‘palace.’ I see you sitting with your back to the window and the small pains of glass glow with the light from your lamps.

I decided the place would go up in flames easy enough because the building was very old and I would do that after I killed you. It would be harder to tell who killed you if the evidence was all charred or mostly gone. Fire was like water a renewal source, so when it all burned to the ground it would cleanse the earth of your evil as well.

My small hand griped the hatchet hard and my brown eyes burn with tears of hatred for you and what you’ve done. My tear stained face was filled with emotions of many women all at once living in my head. My light olive skin was dirty and parts of my body are bleeding. My white dress is dirty too; matted with filth of the days and hours it took me to get to you.

I hide now staring up at you from behind a tree closest to the window you sit by. You have no idea I’m here, and certainly no idea that anyone knows about you and what you are, too bad for you but someone found you out and now I’m here to kill you. I see also that you have another with you I think I will go after him first then you. You will be the most fun anyway and why not save the best for last.

 

Where you can find J. Gunn:
Writer J. Gunn Tales of the Scary
Fanpage
Twitter
Blog

You can find Devil's in the Details at Amazon

Hugs,
Keira Kroft
www.keirakroft66.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. Great interview Jen! Adding this book to my reading list.. woot woot! <3
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen, for once again bringing a couple hundred people by blog. How do you do that? Any secrets that you want to share :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. They want to know if I'm really crazy or not! LOL! JK! I have a smallish but loyal group and I love them all! :)

    ReplyDelete